// you’re reading...

Featured

The Hobo Box: Adventures in Refrigeration-Free Microwave Cooking

During the past two years, I spent a lot of time on the road and lived in many different places. I often didn’t have access to a stove, refrigerator or freezer. Not wanting to eat out all the time, I started researching food that would keep indefinitely and that could be eaten either without cooking or using only a microwave.

The result of this research is the hobo box.

What is a hobo box?

A hobo box is a collection of food items and cooking tools that you can use to prepare meals wherever you are. All the items last six months or more without refrigeration, and all can be eaten either cold or with only a microwave.

Originally, my thought was to have one authoritative hobo box with a fixed complement of items, but I’ve since come to believe that customization is important — as in , “What’s in your hobo box?”. Therefore, I have provided a number of different options below. Select the ones you like best.

When might you want to use a hobo box?

• If you’re gone from your home for long periods and want to be able to eat when you get home without having to go to the grocery store first.
  • If you refrigerator and/or freezer are often full (especially common if you have roommates) and you need to be able to store ingredients without refrigeration.
  • If you travel in your car frequently and want an emergency meal without having to go to a restaurant.
  • If you spontaneously go to visit a friend that doesn’t want to eat out but doesn’t have food in the kitchen. (Just grab a meal from the car.)
  • If you want an emergency meal at work because you forgot your lunch or you’re working late. Just store a few meals in your desk. Even if your office has a refrigerator, it might be cleaned regularly and is therefore not a good option for storing emergency food that you might not eat for weeks.

What’s in a hobo box?

Tools:
Silverware: You can use regular or plastic silverware if you want. However, I recommend either a titanium spork or a swiss army-style collapsible fork, knife, spoon and can opener.

Here’s a good spork that I own:

Here’s a good swiss army silverware set that I own:

Can opener: Not mandatory, but much, much easier to open cans with than the tiny knife one that comes with the hobo fork, knife and spoon, above.

I just purchased a can opener at the store, but this one is highly rated online:

Containers: Use them to prepare, heat up and store your meals. I recommend plastic containers as they are microwave safe but also light and durable. It’s nice to have a large one for preparing meals and a smaller one for leftovers.

Here’s a large container I’ve used that works well:

Meals:
* = optional item that requires refrigeration

1. Tuna Roma
2 cans tuna
Ziti pasta
can of mushrooms
Jar of mushroom spaghetti sauce (see if can find in a can instead of glass)
Parsley
* Mozzarella Cheese
** technically you don’t have to refrigerate Parmesan cheese, so you could use it in the winter

Optionally add on a can of vegetables as a side dish.

Cook pasta, then add it, tuna and sauce (and half the cheese if you have it) in a bowl and cook in microwave for four minutes. (Add the remaining cheese if you have it). Let stand for a few minutes, then serve.

2. Tuna Noodle Casserole
2 cans tuna
1 can of mixed veggies
1 can of mushroom soup
1 can of sliced mushrooms
Bread crumbs
* milk (could use dehydrated milk and water if desired)

Mix all ingredients except for breadcrumbs in dish, then top with the bread crumbs. Cook in casserole dish for 12 minutes. Optionally, stir halfway through the cooking. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

3. Spanish rice and canned chicken
1 can cashews
1 can tomatoes
1 can peas
1 can chicken
1 box Spanish rice

Mix Spanish rice, tomatoes, peas and chicken. Microwave for 10-15 minutes. Top with cashews.

4. Bean Chili
2 cans of tomato sauce
1 can of kidney beans
1 envelope chili seasoning mix
* Chicken, corn and/or sliced tomatoes
* 1/2 pound ground beef

(Heat meat if you have it, with seasoning mix). Combine seasoning mix, tomato sauce and kidney beans. Heat for 6-8 minutes.

5. Creamed chicken
Bowtie pasta
Cream of mushroom soup
Sliced mushrooms
Canned asparagus
Olive oil
* Sour cream
* Chopped onion

Heat pasta into water for 10 minutes, then remove. Heat Chicken in olive oil (with onions, if you have them) for 1 minute. Add soup and mushrooms; heat for 10 minutes. Serve over noodles.

Soup cans
Soup cans are great if you need a very quick meal. They can even be eaten cold if you don’t have a microwave.

The one issue with soup cans is that many of them contain large amounts of sodium. Store brands tend to be especially bad here. Therefore, I recommend sticking with the “healthy” versions of brand name soups — Campbell’s Select Harvest, for example. Prices can vary widely depending on if there’s a sale going on, so watch them and stock up when they’re cheap (ideally, $1.50/can or less).

Chef Boyardee canned pastas (e.g. Beefaroni) are also good in an emergency, but they’re also very salty.

Breakfast/snacks

• Granola bars
  • Protein bars (I like Cliff Builder bars)
  • Raisins
  • Carrots
  • Dehydrated milk
  • Nuts

Other questions:

Are hobo box meals healthy?
Not particularly. You shouldn’t subsist on an exclusively hobobox diet. However, a hobo box meal is healthier than just eating chips or some types of fast food – which is what you might have eaten if you didn’t have a hobo box meal. You can also make hobo box meals healthier by purchasing low sodium versions of ingredients.

Hobo box alternatives

If you have access to a freezer, you can purchase and freeze meat and vegetables, which often taste better than their canned counterparts and last just as long. Of course, frozen items are not portable like canned goods are.

Credits
Some of these recipes are inspired by (but not identical to) the ones in A Man, a Can, a Plan: 50 Great Guy Meals Even You Can Make.

Discussion

11 comments for “The Hobo Box: Adventures in Refrigeration-Free Microwave Cooking”

1. Looks an awful lot like Boy Scout camping meals! Good job, Ryan. Make a million! And then you too can pay 30% back to the government.

Posted by Janet Eaker | January 30, 2012, 1:19 pm
  2. 15% if I make it through capital gains.

Posted by Ryan Pfister | January 30, 2012, 1:26 pm
  3. Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. That is a really well written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of your useful info.

Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

Posted by milwaukee battery powered tools | August 31, 2013, 8:55 am
  4. Thanks for the good writeup. It in reality was a entertainment account it.
    Glance advanced to more introduced agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we be in contact?

Feel free to surf to my blog; internet marketing tips

Posted by internet marketing tips | September 16, 2013, 11:04 am
  5. I think this is among the most significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general
    things, The web site style is great, the articles is really great : D.
    Good job, cheers

Also visit my blog post tap water

Posted by tap water | September 18, 2013, 6:31 am
  6. Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored to tears at work so I
    decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break.

I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a
    look when I get home. I’m surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, good blog!

Also visit my blog; dental software (dentalcare11.wordpress.com)

Posted by dentalcare11.wordpress.com | September 26, 2013, 1:19 am
  7. Along with diamonds, goild is exchanged during marriage ceremonies in most parts of the
    world. The coloring bolok will be given out too children and students at
    the History Center for a fun way to learn about their city.
    On thhe flip side if you dress down and say something like
    “I’ll take whatever for it” you will undoubtedly gget a low quote.

Have a look at myy blog :: La mejor cotizacion y Precio del oro en
    tiempo real [http://www.deoroyjoyas.Com.Ar/precio-del-oro-en-tiempo-real/cotizacion-oro-al-instante/]

Posted by http://www.deoroyjoyas.Com.Ar/precio-del-oro-en-tiempo-real/cotizacion-oro-al-instante/ | October 7, 2013, 6:09 pm
  8. Autrement dit, les gouvernements locaux restent presque totalement passifs.habitants, et qui a quitté les libéraux du MR au lendemain des accords communautaires.Comme si c’était là lapire chose qui se déroule en ce moment au monde et comme si dans le pays voisinil n’y avait pas une vraie guerre.
    [url=http://www.japanbrandsgroupshop.com/]iphone4s ケース[/url]
    iphone4s ケース

Posted by iphone4s ケース | November 7, 2013, 4:08 am
  9. If you want to find out more about how we can help you boost your farm subsidy, but think again. to which the Tories will reply “oh really? mental state,Greg Dyke supports United and Brentford and served on the Old Trafford board as a non-executive director in 1997-99. His succeeds David Bernstein.A draw in that match, A5 .. to deliver on the abolition of the House of Lords is a reason for him to obstruct a measure to ensure that Parliamentary constituencies should each have about the same number of electors.As if Mr Cameron did not have enough troubles already177. and was demanding his noisome food.
    louis vuitton

Posted by louis vuitton | November 25, 2013, 5:22 am
  10. Once you put in place an internet store or business, including PayPal being a payment choices a good choice. PayPal can be a trusted alternative payment technique simplifies transactions between merchants and clients. The provider contains a considerable share of the market, projecting to process above $20 billion of transactions during in 2013. PayPal is a simple option for online commerce the wisdom to make it really the only options debatable.
    Mens Outlet North Face Parka Brown Jackets Down

Posted by Mens Outlet North Face Parka Brown Jackets Down | December 17, 2013, 3:41 am
  11. This can be due to many reasons like gum disease, due to root canal done on any tooth or even due to
    passage of time without proper care. If you are too busy to make to your dental and medical appointments
    during the regular work week, you may want to consider going to a Saturday dentist.
    No one should be embarrassed about his or her smile.

Also visit my web-site :: For those who really want a bit more information and facts relating to Joomla hosting leave a message .

Posted by For those who really want a bit more information and facts relating to Joomla hosting leave a message . | December 29, 2013, 7:26 pm